PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : Trailer wiring for a 70 Chevy pickup for European trailer lights

LUV Truck
28.12.2008, 16:09
Hello,
Looking for some advice. I have a 70 Chevy pickup that I would like to tow a European car trailer with but have a wiring problem. The US wiring consists of 4 wires 1.) reverse lights 2.) Right turn signal/brake 3.) Left Turn signal/brake 4.) Running lights.
Obviously, for a European trailer I need separate signals/wires for each blinker, brake lights, and running lights and I have combinations that need some sore of separation.

The rear lights consist of two bulbs on each side, one for the reverse light and the second (with dual filament) for brake/turn signal and running light. I don't think that I can get a separate turn signal and brake signal from the fuse box. Does anyone know how to add to the wiring to achieve separate signals for turn, brake and running lights so that I wouldn't have a trailer with a blinking brake light or turn signals lighting with the brakes? If someone is an electrician with experience working on old US wiring, I would appreciate some experience and/or a wiring schematic with any type of relays, etc. that I could add to make the trailer wiring work correctly. I don't want to change any of the standard circuits on the truck and would be looking to add functionality.

Thanks,
Alex

Rudy
28.12.2008, 21:45
The easiest way to do this is to just run one wire to the hitch from the the brake light switch ( usually the swith is located at the pedal on 70 cars). The existing wires for the turn signals are used to operate the trailer turn signals and the existing brake wires are just left off.

LUV Truck
29.12.2008, 01:13
Rudy,
Thank you for the response. I do however have a question. If I then used the existing wires for the turn signals only, won't the amber turn signal lights then light up when I hit the brakes? I think I am going to have to build an entire new circuit. I do not have separate turn and brake wires, that is the entire dilemma.

Thanks,
Alex

Rudy
29.12.2008, 07:58
When you hook up the new wire to the brake light switch you have to remove the old wire of course, the existing wire from the brake light switch just splices in to the turn signal, so by removing it from the switch you have just pure turn signals and you can then use these to hook up the trailer lights.

LUV Truck
29.12.2008, 09:24
Great. I'll give that a try. Sounds good. Appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Alex

Street-Power
29.12.2008, 10:06
Hallo

Ich habe auch die Tage vor an meinem 81er Ford Cargo Van eine Anhängerkupplung zu bauen. Natürlich muß ich ja auch hier in Deutschland eine Steckdose dafür instalieren.
Mein Van hat hinten auch nur eine Lampe (rechts/links) wo Rücklicht, Bremslicht und Blinker drin sind. Wie verdrahte ich das am besten, so das die am Tüv glücklich sind und am Van die alte Beleuchtung bestehen bleibt. Ist es richtig, das eine Art Blinkanzeige für den Anhänger in den Amaturen sein muß ?????

Grüße aus Münster

Jürgen

77elcamino
30.12.2008, 17:17
hi Jürgen
habe mir gerade eine AHK unter meinen Camino geschraubt, Blinkerlinks von Vorne geholt, rechts auch von vorne, Bremse für beide vom Bremslichtschalter, Licht von hinten, Rückfahrscheinwerfer auch, ist eine menge kabel,aber für mich war so die beste Lösung
gruß KLaus :thumb:

LUV Truck
30.12.2008, 18:48
I was considering that idea too for the blinkers Klaus. Great idea, do you have enough power in the circuit to the trailer lights too, or did you isolate the new circuit you made with its own power?

Cheers,
Alex

Street-Power
31.12.2008, 10:06
Hallo Klaus

Das hört sich wirklich nach viel Kabel an, ist aber bestimt der beste Weg :-)

Vielen Dank

Gruss Jürgen