PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : Hi, I'm a newbie! (sort of)

JunkYard Dawg
30.11.2012, 14:15
Noob check, check 1.

This is Phil with the Green 1979 Chevy Luv checking in after my old screen name account quit working. Happy Holidays to everyone!

Benni
30.11.2012, 18:12
Hi Phil,

Benni here, the voice of noise (and Bitburg).

Fine to see you (back) here, any plans for next season ?

What kind of mufflers are you running ?

I am asking because the LUVtruck has a really good sound, quite racy but not too loud.

The motor revs up pretty quick, is the flywheel lightened or is that because of cam ?

Will we see the LUV and Alex`Chevelle back on track in 2013 ?

And..........................................congr ats again to the 9....and the SuperStock-style wheelies !!!

JunkYard Dawg
30.11.2012, 23:40
Hi Benni,

Good to hear from you, as always.

I may go to more gear this winter. I also plan on replacing some of the 1979 suspension and steering parts up front to better survive the wheelies.

I'm running mufflers from spintech: http://www.spintechmufflers.com/ since 2007

Yes, the solid roller cam revs a lot quicker than the previous years with the solid flat tappet. No special flywheel, stock GM piece.

Yes, looking forward to beating that red '68 in 2013! We should be on track.

Thanks for the congrats, and the comparison to SuperStock. That's the class I admire the most.

360duster
05.12.2012, 07:12
Hi Alex,

always enjoy the LUV Truck when i´m able to be at the track and you´re there - really nice and fast ride. See you next year (have to learn a lot from the guys going faster....;-))

Michael

JunkYard Dawg
05.12.2012, 20:53
Thanks duster,

Appreciate it. See you next year. This is Phil by the way, Alex has the red 68 velle.

cheers!

360duster
05.12.2012, 21:47
oh, i´m sorry.....i think we talked one time in Hockenheim, maybe two years ago....you own a mid sixties barracuda?

Michael

JunkYard Dawg
05.12.2012, 22:49
That is correct. Did you say you owned a cuda as well?

360duster
06.12.2012, 08:46
no, i own a white ´68 Valiant 2dr sedan, 408 ci SB. Engine is new, built by myself. Got to the track only once in 2012 with little problems, not able to show it´s potential (sure grip gone, coil faulty....). We´ll see in 2013!

Michael

JunkYard Dawg
06.12.2012, 20:13
Awesome, really looking forward to seeing your A-body and stroker perform after everything is sorted out! 727 or 904? 8 3/4? Which center section?

360duster
06.12.2012, 20:27
Trans is a 727, got it from a friend who swapped to BB. Rear axle is a Ford Exploder 8.8 with 3.73 Gears - i was not able to get a mopar 8.75 for small money.....i shortened one side of the 8.8 and used a spare short side axle shaft - perfect fit into a-body.

But hey, it´s your thread...tell us something about the luv Truck! Engine, chassis mods etc.....the story behind....one time i heard it was a highschool project?

Michael

JunkYard Dawg
06.12.2012, 22:51
Interesting about the 8.8 being a great fit for the A. Strong rearend.

The truck is nothing special. I believe it was left for dead in a farmer's field, just wasting away. My highschool shop teacher (Mr. T) was able to take it off the previous owner's hands--for free if im not mistaken--and used it as a highschool hotrod project. The students, including my older brother Alex did the V8 swap and drivetrain upgrades (TH350 and AMC M20 rearend out of an AMX) in the early 90s. Mostly burnouts behind the shop and some racing in Pirmasens. Since then it has received a roll cage, fuel cell and has seen a 355 cube or two and a 383 with all cast factory components besides the heads and intake. Until last winter.

We assembled a new block with affordable forged components, went to a custom solid roller camshaft that we spec'd ourselves, and upped the compression ration by one point. Still running pump gas. All steel truck weighing in at 3000lbs+ without me in the car. Factory suspension (torsion bars and leaf springs) with the assistance of Mr. Calvert. Every year it gets a little less slow as a result of trying this and that and trying to improve the combo.

Benni
07.12.2012, 00:29
Hi Phil,

check out the December Issue of VW SPEED Magazine (white "Retro Racer" Golf1 on cover)

for a big report of DAS Drag Day where you are captured doing a big burnout !

360duster
07.12.2012, 19:56
Hi Phil,

thanks for the information, nice story. What rear gear are you using?

The caltrac setup make this thing hook hard. Real cool and unique build. These little trucks are very rare here in germany, if i find a decent Dodge D50 / Mitsu Mighty Max some day i´ll build something similar :)

Michael

JunkYard Dawg
07.12.2012, 19:58
Thanks Benni,

I picked up a copy of it for memories' sake. Might be my first time ever in a magazine. The trucks normally too ugly to feature ;) Thanks for looking out!

JunkYard Dawg
07.12.2012, 20:03
:) thanks,

Yes, the torsion bar set up we have is similar to the MOPAR set up and works very well in tandem with leafsprings...even before the Caltracs were installed. We are using an AMC M20 (also called a Dana model 20 sometimes) rearend out of an AMX. So far so good. It seems to be plenty strong...only downside is that they don't make a pro gear for it.

Yeah, a Dodge D50 would be an interesting build for sure!! I'd like to see that!

Benni
08.01.2013, 23:32
Hi Phil & Gäste,

ich hab gerade auf Youtube ein Video gesehen, und zwar vom Primerracer, der war als "Kameramann" dabei

und hat den Wheelie des Tages / Jahres schön in Zeitlupe gefilmt :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISyF9dqivRs

Frage an den Primerracer : welche Kamera, die Casio Exilim , und wenn ja, welche ?

JoHead
09.01.2013, 06:54
Casio Exilim Pro EX-F1

JunkYard Dawg
15.01.2013, 08:29
Hi Phil & Gäste,

ich hab gerade auf Youtube ein Video gesehen, und zwar vom Primerracer, der war als "Kameramann" dabei

und hat den Wheelie des Tages / Jahres schön in Zeitlupe gefilmt :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISyF9dqivRs

Frage an den Primerracer : welche Kamera, die Casio Exilim , und wenn ja, welche ?

Hi Benni,

Thanks for keeping an eye out! It would have been a shame to miss Primeracer's videos. It is by far the best footage we have of the truck at launch. Thanks again.

JunkYard Dawg
15.01.2013, 08:32
Casio Exilim Pro EX-F1

Hello Prime,

Would you be willing to sell the raw footage you captured of the Luv that weekend? I would eventually like to make a launch sequence video of the truck in order to better analyze the weight transfer at the hit. Your vidoes are great quality, and a real pleasure to watch over and over again!