Ergebnis 1 bis 10 von 20

Thema: Methanol.. was muß ich da beachten

Erfahrener Benutzer Avatar von Merlin
    Downloads
    Uploads

Böse Methanol.. was muß ich da beachten

Hi Racer, Fans und Teckies,

irgendwie juckt es mich gewaltig in den Fingern *äähm Fußgas und ich
    überlege die ganze Zeit wie wäre es mal mit Methanol im Tank.

Was muß ich beim gebraucht von Methanol beachten.
    Primär geht es mir um Dinge wie:
    In welchem Zyklus muß ich das Motoröl wechseln?
    Was muß ich nach Veranstaltungsende tun?
    Tank und Leitungen leeren? etc....

Zündung, Spritpumpe, Filter und weiter technische Voraussetzungen können wir auslassen.
    Die sind klar :deal:

Wer von den Alki's könnte mir hierzu brauchbare Tipps geben?

Danke schon mal im voraus

Methanol Merlin & Team :grins:

PS Es geht hier nicht um den "E" Sprit, also E85 wie Ove oder so!!!!
    "The Key to going Fast is to learn from those who are going the Fastest."
    Krümel Racing powered by Savage Attack

Erfahrener Benutzer Avatar von Bernhard Goldbach
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Alkohol ist meiner Meinung nach keine wirkliche Alternative.
    Kosten sind im Verhältnis zur Mehrleistung ( max. 10% bei einem Sauger bis 14:1 c.r. ) viel zu hoch. Einziger wirklicher Pluspunkt ist die Kühlung, weshalb in USA sehr viele Bracket Racer mit Alkohol fahren. Ist bei den dortigen Feldergrößen mit buy back auch verständlich.

Wenn Hubraum und Nockenwelle nicht durchs Reglement begrenzt sind, gibt´s nur einen Weg: Pump Gas !
    Ran an die olle SHELL-Tanke und ab dafür.

Sorry, leider keine wirkliche Antwort auf deine Frage, nur

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Bernhard,:wink:

Danke Du weißt das ich Dich, deine Meinung und Erfahrungen sehr schätze.

Meine Frage hat aber einen tiefergreifenden Hintergrund.
    Könnte da ein Projekt starten, wobei allerdings das gesamte Aggregat auf Alkohol abgestimmt und aufgebaut ist.:conf:

Na wenn alle Stricke reißen, gibt es eben wieder gutes C14+ und gut

Gruß Merlin :P

Erfahrener Benutzer
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi merlin, there are pro's and con's to the use of Methanol.

Motor oil
    First you are going to have to use a normal oil, no synthetic oil will work with Methanol. If you race with injection then you are going to have to change the oil more, when I ran my Model T in Germany we would change the oil around every ten runs but you could go maybe twenty runs if it not to rich. I run 50W in the model T and 20W50 oil in my present dragster which has a 1250 Holley and is set up to run Methanol.

There are many company's offering Methanol carb's in the US but they all run diifferent, some are set up very rich on idle and you have to change the oil about every twenty runs, I change the oil somewhere between 40 to 50 runs. If the engine idle's very rich then you end up washing the piston rings and they wear out in no time.

Carb's or injection
    Injection is always faster that a carb, if you go with a carb then there are a few thing to pay attention to. First the floats if you have brass one's make sure there ok if the car back fires thought the carb as they can be crushed easy. If you have the black floats then it is a good idear to drain the Methanol out of the carb after the race. We race almost ever week so I don't do this so every six month I put new float in the carb, the float get around 3grams heavy in this time and you will start losing ET and ilde rich. With injection you have to drain everything and spray oil in the pump and so on.

You will pick up around .2 in ET when changing from gas to Methanol with a carb with a big block with around 12.5:1 comp, if the engine has more comp then a little less ET and less comp .3 is possible. The BLP dragster has a 565ci and 15.5:1 comp, it runs 7.60's in the heat.

Fuel Pump
    If you have a 10 second car and have 1.30 60ft or slower then you can get away with a electric pump, but if you can try to use a mechanical fuel pumps as you will run faster with one on a carb. The electic pump can not deliver enough fuel after the 1/8 so it runs to lean towards the finish line.

I hope this helps if you do not understand I'm sure Andrea or maybe someone else will translate Tony

Downloads
    Uploads
    Dear Tony,

many many thx for the info's and very detailed describtions. :deal:

I do understand every single word, cause I've been trained by Eastender's :grins:
    Notsch Notch wing wing say no more.. Nod I mean Arry*rofl
    Ok back to topic enough of this nonsense and british humor

It will be a car with a carb and mechanical fuel pump, so we eliminate
    the lean running engine.
    The non-synthetic oil is a very usefull hint. Thx.
    The plan is to start a interval of 5 runs or so, it depends on the look of the oil.
    I thing we will take the valve-cover off abd see in what condition it is.
    If it start to moist that's it than.
    The carb will be one from the US that has been specific made for alcohol, however we will check the hole beast for internals.

Nevertheless, I will keep a good memory of all detailed infos about the drainning. As you know the situation over here, we are that unfortunate and can't run every weekend.
    You live in dragster heaven over there

I will keep you posted on the progress and hopefully we have the homepage set up and you can follow our progress via that source as well.

Kind regards from the OLD world and keep in touch

Merlin :walker:

Erfahrener Benutzer
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the kind words Merlin, you may want to think about running a Vac pump this will help pull some of the water etc out of the engine, plus it should help with oil leaks and pick up some more ET.

Now it time for me to make a run, we are in Atlanta running this weekend at a Divisional event. C YA Tony

Erfahrener Benutzer Avatar von Patrick Kaiser
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ausrufezeichen Spritmenge??

Hi mit dem Thema Methanol befasse ich mich auch schon eine Weile und werde es nächstes Jahr wohl auch einsetzen.Jetzt gibt es ja immer wieder verschiedene Meinungen welche Benzinpumpe eingesetzt werden sollte. Tony schrieb hier man solle unbedingt eine mechanische Pumpe fahren, um einen lean out zu vermeiden. Bei einer Einspritzanlage denke ich auch das eine Mechanische von Nöten ist aber bei einem Vergaser sollte doch eine gute 500
    gallonen Pumpe ausreichen oder habe ich da einen Knopf in meiner Rechnung?? ?(
    Gruß
    Pat

Erfahrener Benutzer
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This is from another post on dragracing.de that I posted on this question, so I copyed and pasted it.

It is not recommended to use electric fuel pump with Alcohol carburetors.

First the Alcohol will attack the rubber inside the pump.

Second all Alcohol carburetors use titanium needles in the needle and seats.

If you try and set the electric fuel pump at the normal 9 psi the needle and seat will not hold that pressure at idle, after 3 1/2 psi the needle will start leaking. Then it will start dumping fuel passed the boosters and make it in possible to make the car idle good.

Also as you run the car up the track with Alcohol, a electric fuel pump will not keep up with the fuel demand.

A electric fuel pump can be used on a motor with less than around 650ps on Alcohol, not the 1000ps you would like to run.

So you need to use a mechanical fuel pump, this will alow you to have the low pressure at idle 3psi, and then 10 - 11psi at the finish line.

Here is the link to the other post http://dragracing.de/thread.php?thre...ight=fuel+pump

I hope this helps Tony

Erfahrener Benutzer Avatar von Patrick Kaiser
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Tony thanks for your informative answer!!! Wich pump do you prefer a enderle on the camshaft or a belt driven pump?
    Greetz
    Pat

Fahrervereinigung
    Lübeck Hansestadt, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany, Germany
    Downloads
    Uploads
    leute!!!!!!!!!!!
    warum fahrt ihr nicht ethanol!!??????????

E85 gibts an der tanke und kostet 98 cent der liter

grosse unterschiede im verbrennungsverhalten gibt es zu methanol nicht
    ohio crankshaft hat das mal getestet

ich bin sehr zufrieden damit und habe in der letzten saison keine nachteile bemerkt
    ausserdem ist das ethanol zu 85% auf pflanzlicher basis und nicht so agressiv wie methanol
    14.1 verdichtet , der motor auch für andere kraftstoffe geeignet.
    einzig der vergaser ist auf e85 abgestimmt

grüsse
    ove